In a move unanimously hailed by the trade press and industry analysts as being a sure sign of incipient braindamage, Linus Torvalds (also known as the "father of Linux" or, more commonly, as "mush-for-brains") decided that enough is enough, and that things don't get better from having the same people test it over and over again. In short, 2.4.0 is out there.
Anxiously awaited for the last too many months, 2.4.0 brings to the table many improvements, none of which come to mind to the exhausted release manager right now. "It's better", was the only printable quote. Pressed for details, Linus bared his teeth and hissed at reporters, most of which suddenly remembered that they'd rather cover "Home and Gardening" than the IT industry anyway.
Anyway, have fun. And don't bother reporting any bugs for the next few days. I won't care anyway.
- remove extra "remove_wait_queue()" in drivers/sound/cs46xx.c. It
would lock up badly on nonblocking reads.
- teach tulip driver about media types 5 and 6
- fix ATM LANE driver linkage issues
- fix DECNET driver unload time cleanup
- fix pointer comparison type warning
- get rid of excessive '##' token pasting that newer gcc's warn about
- fix drm Makefile to not use the same objects built-in and in a module
- update modutils version numbers to match 2.4.x kernel
- fix radio card drivers that got the request_region sense inverted
- Remove compile warnings with newer gcc versions for lables with no
expression at the end of a compound block
- Make the x86 semaphore implementation compile properly with current
gcc snapshots. Newer gcc's will release the memory allocated for a
data structure too early if only the pointer to that memory is passed
to an asm.
- pcxx.c: make it compile ("mseconds" -> "msec")
- Documentation: fix typos/glitches
- CCISS bugfix
- riscom setup bugfix
- toshoboe and wavelan overlarge udelay
- clean/bugfixes amateur radio
- yam/mkiss build fix
- old tulip chips driver update
- sg driver unchecked scsi_allocate_request
- i810 audio fix
- RTC CMOS locking fixes
- update sparc to "loops_per_jiffy"
- sparc32 uses ix86-like semaphores now
- missing flush_dcache_page in kiovec support layer
- netfilter: use "long" for values operated on using bitops
- more empty statement warning fixes
- LVM 32-bit compat ioctl checks
- Include param.h into Sparc64's delay.h to get HZ define
- Fix Zilog serial port speed setting checks
- raid5 missing unlock on degraded array
- knfsd inode semaphore: get it early
- USB oops on unplug fix for dc2xx and ov511 driver
- prettier printout of IDE registers if < 0x100
- alpha "loops_per_jiffy" update
- fix for SMP race in v4l open()
- Makefile fix for ieee1394
- IEEE 1394 up-to-date
- fix ISDN diversion services name-clash (and crash)
- IDE chipset update, DVD-RAM update
Rik van Riel:
- don't deactivate partially written pages in generic_file_write
- ibmmca upgrade: docs and small bugs
- big udelay's in fb drivers. Fix.
- drivers/net/rcpci45.c: make it compile ("rcpci_pci_table" ->
- mark_buffer_dirty() only does a "balance_dirty()" if the
buffer was previously clean.
- mm sanity: never decrement page count past zero
- no synchronous bdflush wait
- mm VM scanning and exit race cleanup: mmlist_lock